Shipping containers are ubiquitous in our world, transporting goods across oceans and continents. But can you buy shipping containers for your own purposes? That’s right, these sturdy steel boxes can be repurposed for a variety of uses, from storage and mobile homes to offices and swimming pools.
Why Buy a Shipping Container?
There are many reasons why someone might choose to buy a shipping container. They are:
- Durable and weatherproof: Built to withstand the harshest conditions at sea, shipping containers are incredibly strong and weatherproof. They can handle extreme temperatures, precipitation, and even high winds.
- Versatile: The possibilities for repurposing shipping containers are endless. They can be used for storage, living space, offices, workshops, studios, and much more.
- Relatively affordable: Compared to traditional construction methods, shipping containers can be a relatively affordable option. The price will vary depending on the size, condition, and modifications, but you can expect to pay anywhere from $1,500 to $5,000 for a used container.
- Portable: Shipping containers are designed to be easily transported. They can be loaded onto trucks and shipped to your desired location omgblog.
What to Consider Before Buying
Before you take the plunge and buy a shipping container, there are a few things you need to consider:
- What will you use it for? The intended use of the container will dictate the size, condition, and modifications you need. For example, a container for storage will need different features than a container for living space.
- What size do you need? Shipping containers come in a variety of sizes, from 8 ft. to 40 ft. long. The most common sizes are 20 ft. and 40 ft.
- What condition are you looking for? Shipping containers can be purchased in new, used, or “one-trip” condition. New containers are the most expensive, but they are also in the best condition. Used containers may have some dents or scratches, but they are still perfectly functional. One-trip containers have only been used once to ship goods and are a good option if you are looking for a good deal.
- Where will you put it? You will need to check with your local zoning regulations to make sure that you are allowed to have a shipping container on your property. You may also need to obtain a permit.
- How will you modify it? If you are planning to modify the container, such as adding windows or doors, you will need to factor in the cost of labor and materials.
Where to Buy Shipping Containers
There are a few different places where you can buy shipping containers. Some of the most common options include:
- Shipping container dealers: These companies specialize in buying and selling shipping containers. They can offer a wide variety of sizes and conditions.
- Online marketplaces: There are a number of online marketplaces where you can buy and sell shipping containers. This can be a good option if you are looking for a specific type of container or if you want to compare prices from different sellers.
- Auctions: Shipping containers are sometimes sold at auctions. This can be a good way to get a good deal, but it is important to inspect the container carefully before you bid.
Tips for Buying a Shipping Container
Once you have considered all of the factors above, you are ready to start shopping for a shipping container. Here are a few tips to help you get the best deal:
- Get quotes from multiple sellers.
- Inspect the container carefully before you buy it.
- Be prepared to negotiate.
- Factor in the cost of delivery and modifications.
With careful planning and research, you can find the perfect shipping container for your needs. These versatile boxes can be a great way to add extra space, create a unique living space, or start your own business.
In addition to the tips above, here are a few other things to keep in mind:
- Shipping containers can be heavy, so you will need to make sure that your foundation can support the weight.
- You will need to properly insulate the container if you plan to use it as living space.
- Shipping containers can be painted or decorated to give them a more personal touch.
I hope this article has given you a good overview of the process of buying shipping containers. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below.